Saturday, July 11, 2009

3 vs 1

The Minmatar were running scared tonight, grouping into an oversized fleet. They hoped that overwhelming numbers would keep them safe and allow them to gloat over the Amarrian forces that stay clear. May as well let the Minmatar have their moment of arrogance, for even as they marauded through Kourmonen a response fleet was rallying to match them.

But that fleet was not for me. I prefer kill alone, or in small groups.

While the two large battle groups maneuvered, I hunted in their wings, searching for opportunity. There was a Zinc Alliance presence in system tonight; they were newcomers. While not in either Militia, they preyed on both groups. Upstarts! I decided to take matters into my own hands.

My prey were members of the Apex Tech corporation, three Thorax cruisers. They were sending one cruiser to bounce asteroid belts while two others lay in deep space, waiting to spring the trap. A fine strategy against the uninitiated, but not against seasoned killers found in the likes of Gunship Diplomacy.

I warped to the reserve ships, two Thorax cruisers in deep space. Their criminal timers had just worn off, so I locked target and waited. True to their nature, BMF40 and Geo Zeitgeist attacked my Harbinger battlecruiser. I knew the third Thorax would be enroute and that my best strategy was an overwhelming offensive.

I locked BMF40’s cruiser with my web/scram/target painter and opened fire. Pulse lasers cut into the cruiser, tearing into his armor and scoring his hull. By the time Aurelie DeChoisi arrived in the third Throax, BMF’s broken hull burned in space. Then I turned to Geo Zeitgeist. I may have destroyed one enemy, but two Thorax cruisers are formidable.

Overheating my guns, laser carronades sliced into Geo’s ship. When I saw his hull start venting atmosphere into cold space, I clutched my scrambler and placed it on Aurelie to prevent his escape. The next volley scattered Geo’s vessel to the solar winds.

Two enemies were destroyed, but now my armor was rented and my hull burning. Gritting my teeth, I pushed my guns to the limit. The exchange of fire with Aurelie was terrible, each of us fighting for our lives. But in the end, I flew over Aurelie’s broken Thorax hull and took the field.

Returning to dry dock for repairs, my ship aflame and venting atmosphere, I reflected on the engagement. My targets were from an obscure corporation in a small, weak Alliance. Yet these pilots proved their worth. Perhaps they have yet to reach their potential.

I will watch for them; I will remember.

[G.DIP] swatyy

Click here for the computer log of this engagement [YouTube.com].

No comments:

Post a Comment