Thursday, July 2, 2009

Burning Skys

My eyes opened, my peaceful sleep interrupted by the console alarm. Rising from bed, I shivered in the cool recycled air, but at least it shook the drowsiness from my body. Stepping over to the console, I muted the alarm and checked the status. It was a message from one of my many spies. The Minmatar were on the move, a light attack group of Assault Frigates and Interceptors. A smile played at the corners of my mouth.

With nothing but my undergarments on, I entered the station hanger. Some people stared at me, a half-naked Amarrian preparing his ship for launch, but I paid them no mind. There was not a second to lose, not if I wanted to engage this attack group. Soon the station was at my six and I set course for the Dal star system. The timing was perfect.

I jumped into Dal just as the enemy fleet began arriving on the gate. Consisting Interceptors, Assault Frigates and cruisers, about 6 or 7 in number, I measured their strength and the hostile presence in local. They were tactically superior, but they would not be prepared for the ferocity of my Harbinger, the Pike. I fit her for exactly this sort of fight, to engage and destroy multiple cruiser and frigate sized targets.

Holding steady, I allowed a few ships to pass through the gate before breaking my own jump cloak, effectively splitting their fleet. Then I uncloaked and engaged Berserk Foil who was flying a Jaguar. I could almost hear his screams for help through the void of space as my pulse laser carronade cut into his target-painted ship. It took a few moments before the other ships on the gate to realize what had happened, ample time to reduce Berserk’s vessel to rubble.

As I anticipated, the enemy fleet attacked me. I calmly launched my wing of Warrior II drones and began engaging the swarming frigates around me. By now the ships that had jumped out of system had returned and I found myself beset with buzzing Minmatar insects. I swatted them down like the flies they were.

Targets wove in and out, some escaping my clutches while others fell in my wake. Mystic Wood found his Stabber cruiser to be an aptly described "coffin" ship. Pyyracy strayed too close in his Wolf Assault Frigate and became entangled in my web and scrambler, paying for his foolhardiness with his ship. I couldn’t help but laugh at the Minmatar futility, the imputance of their resistance. I laughed too soon.

The Minmatar called in heavy support, an Armageddon-class battleship. The blasphemers were using Amarrian technology against me! I have learned there are no depths to Minmatar shame on the battlefield. I had thinned the swarm, burning wrecks surrounded me, but there were still frigates ducking in and out. I resigned myself to my fate.

"Let me die on pyre made of burning Minmatar ships!"

I let loose everything I had, putting drones on one target and my lasers on another. Several vessels fled before my renewed rage, but one held his ground. I could see he was a veteran by the way he handled his ship, bold aggression tempered with precise flying. LP McDuffs held a fast orbit just outside web range in his Ares Interceptor. He was the only one left holding a point on me! The Armageddon had torn through my shields and into my armor. Doom was upon me, but I realized fate had given me a rare opportunity. I ceased it!

Turning into McDuffs' orbit, I forced his orbit into an elipse. At the right moment, at the bottom of his arc, a second sharp perpendicular turn did the trick. I over heated my stasis web and watched my distance. McDuff's velocity was so high, he overcorrected the tack and fell just into web range. I grinned. The web went live, followed by my target painter and a hail of laser fire from overheated guns. McDuff's exploding ship streaked across the heavens, and I was free!

My armor rented and hull laid bare, I activated my warp drive. Every volley from the Armageddon opened cracks in my hull, plums of fire bursting out. But their prize was denied. My warp drive engaged. Limping back to a logistics outpost, I reflected on my narrow escape and the ruined Minmatar ships left on the battlefield. It was a good day!

[G.Dip] - swatyy

No comments:

Post a Comment