Saturday, May 30, 2009

After Action Report: 2009-05-30 12:28:00

There I was, dodging pirates in Amamake. They were out in force again, too many for me to handle alone. It’s lonely, you know, being a solo pilot in the war zone. My associates think I’m insane, not only because I fly alone on the front lines but because I live in Amamake. That pirate-infested and war torn system bereft of godliness or hope is the place I call home. It was hot today, and I found myself patrolling the HED constellation, a ring of 5 or so systems just inside the Minmatar Republic.

There wasn’t much happening; it was still early morning for the Minmatar. But then something caught my attention as I passed through Auga. My scanner was flashing. A Catalyst destroyer was detected. Narrowing the scan range, I warped to the nearest celestial object and dropped 50km from a war target. Dendar was perched above the Kourmonen gate, watching. Outside my effective range, I aligned to a planet behind Dendar and tried to align-warp. When I returned to the Kourmonen gate at 50km, I saw that the Catalyst was joined by an Ares interceptor piloted by Euterpe Ithairegolis. I was still 35km off my mark. Damnit!

Gallente freedom fighters seem to be flocking to the Minmatar cause. Godless heathens, the whole lot of them. I turned toward Dendar, who locked me and opened fire. Without an afterburner or MWD, I was forced to slowly close the distance under Dendar’s guns. I held my fire. Patience, I had to get into scram range before returning hostilities.

35km… Euterpe warped off… 30km… swaped to long-range Scorch crystals… 25km… my shields are gone, overheating disruptor… 20km… locked Dendar, just as Euterpe appeared 20km off my port bow!

The disruptor reached out and held Dendar as my first broadside collapsed his shields and deeply scarred his armor. Euterpe was closing range; I launched a wing of Warrior IIs and locked his interceptor. The second carronade of pulse lasers cut a fatal swath through Dendar’s hull, his ship becoming a pyre before the darkness of space claimed even that last spark of life.

At 5km, my scrambler and web seized Euterpe, shutting off his WMD and slowing him to a crawl. I could hear his scream across space as he realized his folly. He set his course too close, flying by at 500m. But now, scrammed and webbed, the safety of his speed stripped, my Warrior II drones bit into his hull. As he passed, I gauged his transversal velocity. The interceptor’s inerta was too great to complete his turn at 500m, and I knew Euterpe would have to tack to maintain his close orbit. Then I would have him.

Sure enough, Euterpe turned. Just as his transversal dropped, I fired a broadside. The tracking computer and tracking enhancer helped steady my guns, and Euterpe’s interceptor burst into flame before the cold of space claimed the charred wreck.

At that moment, local began to fill. They must have reported my location. I aligned to a planet and razed the interceptor wreck just as a Rook appeared on my overview. Then I was gone, in warp to a safe planet. I docked in Auga to repair my battle damage. I would prefer to destoy Minmatar, all things being equal, but it’s good that the Gallente know their interference will not be tolerated in Ammarian affairs.

swatyy
[EV-O] CEO

No comments:

Post a Comment