Sunday, May 17, 2009

Battle report for 2009-05-18 01:10:00

I set out on a solo patrol of the Hemitar-Amarr boarder systems, doing my part to bring light to the darkness. My intended targets were Minmatar insurgents, but pirates were out in force. At least Minmatar fight for a higher cause, misguided as it may be. But pirates, they live for carnage. I decided to take matters into my hands.

Amamake was infested with heathens, but they were loath to engage the EVO Pike. I piloted my battlecruiser into their ranks like a holy spear that shatters armor and rends flesh. There were several minor victories. I razed Astegue and Crewcifer in their pitiful Rifter frigates. Minmatar frigates seem more like coffins than space-worthy vessels, certainly inferior to Ammarian technology. I did manage to kill Maldin, flying for the Minmatar Republic. The poor soul was caught unaware with a scram/web combo. A mere two pulse laser cycles left his ship (if you can call it that) a pile of twisted metal floating in space.

It wasn’t until later in the day that I met a worthy opponent. Sharlae of Dark Solar Empire was lurking about in the asteroid belts in Amamake. I caught her on directional scan and decided to investigate. As I warped in on her location, I saw that she was not an outlaw. Of course, that doesn’t make her an innocent either. Sharlae was flying a Vagabond, the aptly-named Minmatar attack vessel that has given the Amarrian Navy so much trouble in the past. There are few reasons for a Heavy Assault Cruiser to visit low-sec asteroid belts, and ratting is generally not among them. I locked target and aligned toward the third planet. Holding my fire, I let her betray her intent.

She attacked.

Vagabonds are dangerous, and Sharlae was skilled. She swung out to half autocannon falloff and orbited with high velocity, recognizing the danger of close quarter engagement with an Amarrian Harbinger. Most other vessels would be overcome, but the EVO Pike was fit to handle small, fast moving targets. A tracking computer and tracking enhancer, paired with a web and warp scrambler make short work any “speed tank,” as they are called. While the web and scrambler were ineffectual, a cruiser burning a microwarp drive has a large signature. My pulse lasers burned into the slave-ship and warrior drones stung deep.

As Sharlae’s shields began to collapse, I knew she would try to use superior speed to disengage before I could lay the final blow. At this critical moment, I turned into her and overheated my guns and warp disruptor. Sure enough, I judged correctly. Sharlae pulled away, but it was too late. Her hull and armor collapsed before she could get clear, and I claimed the field. But it had not come without cost. The EVO Pike’s hull was deeply scared. I fired the wreck and set course to a logistics station to repair my battle damage.

Today was a good day. Glory to the Empress!

Swatyy
[EV-O] CEO

No comments:

Post a Comment